Week 4 Hergé and Carl Barks


For week four, I read Art Spiegelman's Jack Cole and Plastic Man, Uncle Scrooge: Statuesque Spendthrifts, and EC comic’s Shock Illustrated #1. Out of all the comics that I read this week, the most shocking would be Shock Illustrated, which should not be surprising since the word “shock” is literally in the title. It was much different from the comics that I read this week and the comics that I have read in the past. It was very violent, the image on the front cover shows a woman lying in a puddle of blood. The comic is also very wordy, the giant blocks of text almost distracted me from the images which were black and white and full of contrast. From an artistic point of view, I was intrigued by the use of a solid grey background that framed the images instead of a black outline that usually outlines each comic frame. The use of black and white, as well as harsh shadows, adds to the darkness of the comic. Based on the violent subject matter, and wordiness, it is clear to me that the target audience is adults and not children.


In contrast to the violence of Shock Illustrated, the Uncle Scrooge comic was a lighthearted, easy read. While I am familiar with Uncle Scrooge’s character, I was unaware that he has his own comics. The comic was easy to read, it was both funny and cheesy which would be perfect for readers of all ages.

Comments