Week 8 Representing


For week 8, I read March: Book One by John Lewis, Andrew Aydin, and Nate Powell which is a graphic novel that focuses on African Americans and the Civil Rights Movement. The main character is John Lewis who is an African American politician and congressman for the state of Georgia. 

While reading this comic, I was looking for stereotypes and I did find some but they were not offensive stereotypes but stereotypes in the sense that they were historical and depicted how African Americans were treated during the civil rights movement. I personally believe that stereotypes can be necessary because they may be needed to prove a particular point/idea. But this does not mean that they need to be offensive. By using stereotypes, it makes sure that the reader knows that a particular group is being represented.

This graphic novel is the first graphic novel that I read for this course that speaks to me on a personal level. As both someone from Georgia who knows and views John Lewis as a hero as well as someone from African American descent who benefits from the advancements in the civil rights movement. I was struck by the beauty of this novel, from the use of pages that are mostly black and full of contrast to the power of the content itself. In an odd way, I felt emotional reading this because I am proud of John Lewis and his achievements. It’s powerful how educational a graphic novel could be and I feel that myself and kids that are in school currently could benefit from reading this in school.

Comments