Week 6 Underground Comics


The underground comics movement is made up of comics that are designed to be offensive and include sex, violence, racism, sexism, and nudity. For this week, I read Robert Crumb’s Mr. Natural #1 as well as some of Tits and ClitsMr. Natural was hard to follow, I found myself just looking at the images and not reading a lot of the text. What I did manage to read was interesting, to say the least. The most memorable was a section titled “Little Johnny Fuckerfaster” where the main character, Johnny, proceded to state that he was glad that he was in a comic strip because he was able to do whatever he wanted because it wasn't real life. I think this statement sums up underground comics in general, they depict things that aren’t normally acceptable but are ok to depict in comics because they are works of fiction. For example, in Tits and Clits, there was a lot of reference to rape and sex in general (hookers, sex addicts, masturbation, and other things that would definitely be seen as offensive to some.

 Out of the two comics that I read, Tits and Clits had my attention more than Mr. Natural did. It was interesting in the sense that it was so bad that it was almost good but at the same time it did feel like it was trying way too hard to be offensive. While I’m glad I got to learn about underground comics, I don’t think they are for me and I would prefer to stick to reading more “conventional” comics.

Comments