Week 9 European Comics Tradition


For week 6 which focuses on the traditions of comics from all over the world, there was a lot to choose from. I found myself picking Persepolis Vol. 1 by Marjane Satrapi which is an autobiographical graphic novel about Satrapi’s childhood years growing up in Iran during as well as after the Islamic Revolution.

I was both intrigued by the style and the content. The style of the graphics reminded me of linocut prints, the black and white images looked as if they were carved from the page. The illustrations were full of contrast, repetition of graphic elements, as well as flowing linework which gave a whimsical look.

The content was intriguing to me because it was unfamiliar since I have not learned much about ran’s cultural revolution and subsequent war with Iraq. It is especially interesting to see what these events looked like through the eyes of a child. In the US there tends to be an incorrect belief and view that Middle Easterners are the enemy and are terrorists. This book is educational and depicts Iranians as people which they are and I believe that this would be a beneficial book to have kids in schools read.

Comments