Assessment

What is your reaction to the text you just read?
The Killing Joke has always been one of my favorite Batman comics since it shows the origin story of one of my favorite characters, the Joker. I enjoyed the storyline, especially the ending where we see Batman who is usually seen as cold and brooding laughing at the Jokers joke. I also enjoyed the illustrations especially the way that the Joker is depicted. My favorite image is the Joker with his hands in his hair and a manic look on his face surrounded by laughter (bold text repeating the phrase "haha"). I personally view this work as a must-read for any Batman fan. 

What connections did you make with the story that you read? Discuss the elements of the work with which you were able to connect.
In an odd way, this work makes me emphatic for the Joker because while reading this, I was able to see what drove him to a life of crime (not that his struggles make murder and torture acceptable). He struggles to make a living and support his pregnant wife. On top of this, his wife dies due to an accident which eventually leads him to snap and turn into the chaotic, humorous, mass-murdering clown that you think of when you hear the word Joker. 

What changes would you make to adapt this story to another media? What media would you use? What changes would you make? 
If I had to adapt this story to another media, I would choose to make a series of collages. Since I would be using collage, I would focus on the elements from the story that I found to be the most important since I wouldn't be able to focus on the entire story. I would create two pieces; one collage which depicts Jack Napier and another that depicts the Joker. I would aim to achieve a striking contrast between the two pieces. The Jack Napier piece would show Jack and other elements of his life and would be gray and hopefully depicts sadness and failure. The other piece would be both colorful and chaotic depicting the clown and his crimes as well as an element that symbolizes Batman and one that symbolizes the Joker's insanity.  




Comments