Week 11 Comics as Contemporary Literature



For week 11, I read Asterios Polyp by David Mazzucchelli which is a graphic novel that focuses on the life of New Yorker Asterios Polyp who is an architect and professor.
The style of the illustrations is unique, I haven’t seen anything like it in the graphic novels that i’ve read before. The illustrations are highly stylized and have a retro 1950s/1960s feel to them. Something that I noticed and found interesting what the use of color in this comic; each character seemed to have their own dominant color used for them. Asterios’ dominate color is blue while Hana’s color is pink. Most of the comics that I have looked at this semester were in black and white but this one doesn’t use black at all but instead uses purples, blues, and pinks. The style of illustration/linework tends to have variations for the characters as well.

This comic was a great read; out of all the comics that I read this semester, this one is my favorite. The illustrations were captivating and the storyline was engaging. I found myself reading it rather quickly because I kept looking at the illustrations. I have read Batman: Year One and I loved the illustrations and I am so impressed by the illustrations in this work. I will definitely be reading more of David Mazzuchelli’s work in the future.

Comments