Week 13 Reconsidering the Superhero


For week 13, I read The Dark Knight Returns Tenth Anniversary Edition by Frank Miller and Arkham Asylum (1989) 15th Anniversary Edition by Grant Morrison and Dave McKean. Superhero comics, especially Batman comics are always something that I have been interested in so I was excited to get a chance to read some Batman comics that I haven’t read before.

Arkham Asylum is about a group of inmates who take over Arkham Asylum and wreak havoc and demand that Batman spend a day in the asylum in exchange for the hostages that were taken. When I started reading Arkham Asylum, the first thing that stood out to me was the unique style used. There was an overall college feel, with layering, photographic elements, rough textures, and a painterly illustration style. While Batman comics usually tend to have a dark feel, the use of this illustration style made the story even eerier. Between the illustrations and the use of rough, scribbly text, I felt as if I was in the mind of an Arkham patient. To me, everything about this comic was a masterpiece since its so unique.

Unlike Arkham Asylum, The Dark Knight Returns felt more similar in terms of style to the Batman Comics that I have read in the past. I enjoyed reading both of these comics since I do have a love for Batman. The thing that I love the most is that while the characters and storyline are familiar, each writer and illustrator provide an entirely different experience so reading Batman comics never gets old to me.

Comments