Week 14 Web Comics


For week 14, I choose Trash Mountain which is a GIF comic by Kelton Sears. This comic is unique to any of the comics that I have read in my life due to the fact that its both animated and includes background music. With this format, the reading experience felt more immersive to me since the visuals and the sound drew me in and in order to continue through the story, you have to click on arrows to change screens. The visuals are a combination of photos and flat, slightly crude line drawings. The main character is a greenish man with a triangular head. We see him driven away from his home and run off into the woods where he meditates naked and eventually runs into a group of other colored triangular headed people. There were some points where the story got confusing since there wasn’t text that provided context therefore, I had to interpret what I thought was happening. I believe that the story addressed themes of spiritualism, consumerism, and corporate greed. The main character seems to favor nature over cities and was bothered by the corporate entities that drove him out of his home and polluted the earth to make money. While I did find this comic to be odd (some of it made me feel as if I was under the influence of psychedelics), I did find it to be a great entryway into the world of GIF comics.

Comments